Places to VisitCastro Verde (Monte do Salto)
The nearest Monte (local) gives the name of Monte do Salto, with restaurant serving dishes from our regional gastronomy (works only by reservations / orders).
Castro Verde (Erminda of Our Lady of Aracelis)
Approximately 1 km from Monte Vale we can find the Hermitage of Our Lady of Aracelis, a place of worship from ancient times. The Ermida is built on an isolated elevation in the middle of a vast plain, called “Altar of the Heavens” and, according to the legend, it sees six other Ermidas in the Alentejo and Algarve: Remedies in Alcaria, Cola in Ourique, Guadalupe in Serpa, Castelo in Aljustrel, Saúde in Martim Longo and Piedade in Loulé.
Apart from being a place of worship it is also a privileged place for bird watching such as the Bustards, the Little bustards and the Eurasian crane. The pilgrimage is annual since many centuries ago, the pilgrimage takes place in the last weekend of August. It is also a tradition that farmers in the region come together to ask Santa for a good agricultural year, while the image circulates around the Hermitage.
The nearest town center is Castro Verde and is 21.2 km away by car (IP2).
The Villa of Entradas is located 3 km from Monte.
Mértola (Pulo do Lobo)
You can visit the Pulo do Lobo, which is the largest waterfall in southern Portugal, and is located on the river Guadiana, upstream of Mértola. It is 53 km by car.
Beja city center and Beja Castle are 35.3 km away by car.
Besides the Castle, you can visit in Beja:
- Convent of Our Lady of Conception;
- Convent of San Francisco (Chapel of the Tombs);
- Convent of Santo António;
- Church of the Misericordia;
- Church of Our Lady of Carmo;
- Church of the Savior;
- Museu Episcopal de Beja (Church of Our Lady of Pleasures of Beja);
- Jorge Vieira Museum (Casa das Artes);
- Regional Museum of Beja (Rainha Dona Leonor Museum);
- Museum Nucleus of Rua do Sembrano;
- Visigothic Center of the Regional Museum of Beja (Church of Santo Amaro);
- Roman Villa of Pisões;
- Among other places of interest.
Portel (Alqueva Dam)
The Alqueva dam is the largest artificial lake in Europe. It covers five counties of the Alentejo: Alandroal, Moura, Mourão, Portel and Reguengos de Monsaraz, as well as the municipalities of Alconchel, Cheles, Olivença and Villanueva del Fresno.
It is located about 90 km from Monte.